Building hope is an integral part of Habitat for Humanity’s mission, and extends around the globe through tithes paid by the affiliates. A portion of tithes paid by Habitat for Humanity of Lee and Hendry Counties is allocated to Habitat’s global fund which supports our sister affiliates in Haiti, Nicaragua, Dominican Republic, Colombia and Guatemala.
Designed to immerse and educate, Habitat for Humanity Global Village hosts travelers who want to change the world through eliminating poverty housing – one trip at a time. Local Habitat volunteers have the opportunity to follow our tithe to various countries to provide decent shelter to families experiencing extreme poverty.
2019 Global Village Journey
Dominican Republic | August 18-24, 2019
Founded in 1986, Habitat for Humanity Dominican Republic helps low-income families through access to adequate housing. Many in the DR experience severe poverty, particularly in rural areas where large families live together in poorly constructed houses. The available land is often marginal, on steep slopes, or in ravines, where there is risk of flash flooding and mudslides. In most cases, potable water, electricity, sewage systems, and garbage collection are virtually non-existent. Sadly, children are the most affected by these unsanitary conditions.
- Registration: http://www.habitat.org/cd/gv/apply/closed/apply_event.aspx
- Global Village (GV) Event Code: GVA20069
- Registration deadline: May 17th, 2019
- Payment deadline: June 18th, 2019
- The cost of the trip is $992.00 plus airfare.
- There is a possibility of an extra fee for ground transportation to the airport in Ft. Lauderdale or Miami.
- Trip cost covers: accommodations, meals and snacks, in-country ground transportation, cultural activities to help you understand the Dominican Republic and the people, travel medical insurance, and support from local staff.
All forms of payments must include the trip GV Event Code (GVA20069) and your eight-digit participant ID number. You can submit funds by credit card on our Donate Page. Please Enter the GV Event Code and your participate ID number in the description box.
You may mail a check made payable to:
Habitat for Humanity of Lee and Hendry Counties
Global Village Trip
1288 N. Tamiami Trail
North Fort Myers, FL 33903
Flights range from $377 – $520. Participants are welcome to arrive early or extend their stay in-country. However, we ask that any alternative travel arrangements you may make do not impact the team’s travel schedule.
For more information about our Global Village Projects contact [email protected].