Habitat partners with qualified, low-income families to provide decent, affordable homes through homeownership. Many families are surprised to learn they can own their own home by partnering with Habitat. It takes some work and determination, but the reward is life-changing for many. It’s a joyous occasion for everyone when the keys are turned over to the new homeowners at the home dedication.
For more information call 239 652-HOME (4663) or download our brochure.
We invite you to join us for a homeownership informational meeting. This one hour session explains the program and steps to homeownership:
- Thursday, May 18th
- English 10:00am @ Fort Myers Library, 1651 Lee St., (Meeting Room)
- Jueves, 25 de Mayo
- Español 7:00am @ Habitat Office, 1288 N. Tamiami Trail, North Fort Myers
- Thursday, May 25th
- English 10:00am @ Habitat Office, 1288 N. Tamiami Trail, North Fort Myers
Getting started is easy. A pre-applications can be downloaded below, picked up at a Homeownership Information Meeting or at the Habitat Administrative Office located at 1288 N. Tamiami Trail in North Fort Myers. Office hours are Tuesday – Friday, 6:30am – 5pm.
- You must have lived or worked in Lee or Hendry County for the past 12 months.
- You must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
- Attend an informational meeting within 6 months.
- If married, you must apply with your spouse.
- You must wait 3 years after foreclosure or bankruptcy has been finalized.
How Families Are Chosen
A volunteer Selection Committee consisting of Lee and Hendry County citizens considers applications based on the following criteria:
- You do not already own a home
- You are currently living in substandard housing which would include any of the following conditions:
- Home is in poor physical condition
- Home is overcrowded
- Rent is subsidized
- Rent is more than 30% of income
- Your household gross income is below 80% of the area median income
Maximum Income Limits
|Family Size||Lee County||Hendry County|
|Note: Income information subject to change|
Ability to pay
- You have proof of at least 2 years of steady, verifiable income
- You do not have any judgements or liens against you
- You do not have excessive debt or multiple accounts in collection
- You pay your rent on time
Willingness to partner with Habitat
- Contribute 300 hours of “sweat equity”
- Attend Habitat homeowner training workshops
- Pay $1,700 towards closing costs
Frequently Asked Questions
Dedicated to Success
We are dedicated to the success of our Habitat homeowners and to that end, have compiled a list of Homeowner Resources to help them.
Using the skills they learn in the educational classes, and applying themselves diligently to making their mortgage payments every month, many of our homeowners pay off their mortgages. To celebrate their accomplishment, we host a Mortgage Burning Ceremony.
For more information call 239 652-HOME (4663)